It’s time to raise a racket.
The Treasure Coast is home to at least 25 public tennis courts where people can play for free in Martin, St. Lucie and Indian River counties. Private courts either charge fees or require memberships.
Tennis was designed and codified in England in the 1870s, but it’s the direct descendant of jeu de paume, invented in France in the 11th century, according to the International Olympic Committee’s website. The sport originally was practiced with bare hands before the invention of the racket in the 16th century.
The name comes from the French word “tenez” — meaning “here it comes” — which the server said to their opponent before lobbing the ball.
Now, tennis has become a major sport followed by millions of fans throughout the year.
So grab a racket, a can of balls and a friend — or three for doubles — and try this sport at your local court.
Free Treasure Coast tennis courts
Indian River County
Fellsmere Tennis & Handball Court
- Address: 57 N. Cypress St., Fellsmere (northeast corner of North Cypress Street and Colorado Avenue across from Fellsmere Elementary School)
- Amenities: 1 tennis court with lights
- Hours: 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, 5 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday-Saturday
- Phone: 772-571‑1616
- Website: cityoffellsmere.org
Schumann Drive Park
Riverside Racquet Tennis Complex
- Address: Riverside Park, 350 Dahlia Lane, Vero Beach
- Amenities: 10 tennis courts (includes 6 lighted courts), practice wall with lights, pro shop, picnic areas with tables and shelters, restrooms, water fountains
- Hours: Noon to 5 p.m. Monday-Thursday, noon to 8 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday (free when pro shop is closed)
- Phone: 772-231-4787
- Website: covb.org
- Address: 2401 15th St., Vero Beach
- Amenities: 2 tennis courts (resurfaced spring 2021), restrooms, water fountains, pavilion
- Hours: Sunrise to sunset daily
- Phone: 772-567-2144
- Website: covb.org
South County Regional Park
St. Lucie County
Pepper Park Beachside
Lawnwood Tennis Center
Lakewood Neighborhood Park
Lincoln Park Regional Park
Whispering Pines Park & Tennis Center
- Address: 800 S.W. Darwin Blvd., Port St. Lucie
- Amenities: 14 tennis courts with a court for tournament play, restrooms, shaded grandstands, lighting for all courts, 40-by-20-foot pavilion with lights, electric, three 8-foot tables
- Hours: 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily (sports light curfew at 9:30 p.m.)
- Phone: 772-878-2277
- Website: cityofpsl.com
Jessica Clinton Park
Charles Ray Park
Halpatiokee Regional Park
Lance Cpl. Justin Wilson Memorial Park
Kiwanis Post Family Park
William G. “Doc” Myers Park
J.V. Reed Park
County Line Park
Laurie K. Blandford is TCPalm’s entertainment reporter and columnist dedicated to finding the best things to do on the Treasure Coast. Follow her on Twitter at@TCPalmLaurie or Facebook atfaceboook.com/TCPalmLaurie.